Thursday, May 24, 2012

THE CHANGE IS INSIDE OF ME


Truth be told, the change I seek is inside of me.
I have long waited for a messiah, to begin the revolution that will change the status quo.
The longer I waited, the more desperate I became and the worse the situation.
How long O’God will things remain like this?
When will we begin to see the difference?
The more I cried, the longer it seemed I will remain where I was.
Until the light shone and I realized I could no longer sit on the sidelines waiting. 
I had to jump into the fray, play my part and believe the best.
Now I choose to stand and speak against injustice. I will not be silent when I see a wrong being done or said at work, home and anywhere I find myself.
I will not keep quiet and go to my comfort zone to vent.
The change cannot come when I cover a wrong, protect the lazy or incompetent worker, support corruption, keep the change rather than retire it, tell a lie to cover my tracks, and so on and so forth.
I will not be on Radio castigating the Government while in my professional association, I am no better.
I will not be in public shouting about changing things in Nigeria, whilst I remain too ‘big’ to maintain cordial relations with my neighbours and thereby make conditions better in my neighbourhood..
I will not be a deacon in church whilst I deprive thousands their daily bread via pen robbery.
I will not be the parent paying and supporting my children in exam malpractice.
I will not be the one shunting the queue.
I will be good to those I meet, helpful where help is needed and polite even to children. 
I may be vilified for this, but it won’t matter whose ox is gored.
I will speak up when and where it matters.
I may be called ‘ase ju’, ‘mary amaka’, or even ‘ITK’, but I will remain on my watch because the change I seek begins with me!





No comments:

Post a Comment