Monday, September 25, 2017

WHAT IF TOMORROW IS SILENT?


“…sounds you love but can no longer enjoy.” These are the words that end a radio ad by Canadian Hearing Society. 
As I heard those words, I thought about how my heart fills with joy when I hear my children laughing with one another and wondered what it would mean to lose my hearing and not be able to hear those sounds.
https://esserealis.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/being-real-silence/
Someone I know will always shush the children, saying they were making noise.
Those words made me dwell on how we take our hearing for granted. We assume that we will always be able to hear, so please World, be quiet for now until I am ready to bear your noise. What if you are no longer able to hear when you are willing or ready to hear the world? Think about it...
The sound of running water, crashing waves, howling winds, happy laughter of children, arguments during a game, music, the cheer of fans at your favourite sporting event or even the bitter arguments of disagreement.
Imagine life without sound…silence…lips moving, hands gesticulating, expressive faces…yet silence…only silence…
Be happy to hear. Enjoy the "noise". Appreciate the sounds, they may not last forever. Delight in hearing.
Enjoy what you hear today because you don't know the silence that tomorrow can bring.

2 comments: